Thursday 1 April 2010

GL, GLS, GLX or Ghia?

I well remember the many years I spent working with colleagues who recruited Sales Reps, sorry Sales Execs as they’re called these days, and the constant back and forth negotiations between client and candidate about those all important suffix’s on the back of the Cortina/Mondeo in the offer letter.

Oddly twenty odd years later the debate on what you’re called in your job still rages on, whilst sometimes I feel that it has overtaken in importance what you actually do in your job!

Take me for example: I’m a Recruitment Consultant. Simple really, does what it says on the can. Actually it’s not. I’m a Head-hunter. Or a Search Consultant. Or, heaven forbid, a Human Capital Management Consultant. Then moving into the commercial world I wish that I had a £1 for every discussion as to whether a candidate was (for example) a Sales Director, a Director of Sales or a Business Development Director.

To most of us these are trivial issues and yet there is an almighty emotion tied up in these discussions for the individuals involved and the perception as to what the difference makes to your career. It is simplistic to think that the UK is alone in having these issues, talking with my global InterSearch colleagues they exist almost everywhere.

So as we head off to into the long Easter break, I’ve just promoted myself to Assistant Vice President Client Talent Sourcing Management.

Have a great Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment